Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas


My sister, Madeline, is a vegan so when she came in town a couple months ago we decided to go to this delicious vegetarian restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor called Seva for dinner one night. I ordered the black bean and sweet potato quesadilla and fell in love!! I kept craving it every night after that but I didn't really want to keep spending money ordering it and going there to pick it up... So I decided to find a recipe online and then make it myself! Personally, I think mine tasted better! I used this recipe and, of course, changed a few things to make it even better {and easier}.

The recipe tells you to put the cubed sweet potatoes in a bowl to mix in the oil and spices, however, I find that it is much simpler and cleaner to just pour all of those ingredients into a gallon size Ziploc bag and shake it up! Another thing that I did differently is instead of making a full quesadilla with two tortillas each time, I made a half quesadilla with one tortilla. This makes it much easier to flip the quesadilla and ensure that each side gets cooked correctly without loosing any yummy ingredients out the side of the tortilla.

My directions: place one tortilla on the frying pan, sprinkle some cheese on half of the tortilla {about 1/8 of a cup} then cover that same half with cooked sweet potato plus 1/4-1/3 cup of black beans and another chunk of cheese on top. Flip the empty side of the tortilla over to cover the contents and let cook for a couple minutes then flip and allow the other side to cook; I usually do this a couple times in order to let all the ingredients and cheese cook together. Once cooked remove from pan, cut, and serve! I like to eat mine with salsa, but Tom likes his with sour cream so pick your poison and EAT!


 Hope y'all have a great Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment